Natura Mattresses and Sleep Systems-
Natura- The Natural Sleep System has as a motto: ‘Working in harmony with nature, not against it’.
Founded in 1994 by the father and son team of Harry and Ralph Rossdeutsher, Natura subscribes to the beliefs of its CEO and Head Honcho Ralph Rossdeutdcher that:
“Healthy sleep is vital to a healthy life, and we believe using natural materials is the best solution for ourselves and our planet. By using sustainable, earth-friendly manufacturing practices and materials, Natura is truly where nature meets nurture. It’s not a trend, it’s a way of life.”
The Natura History-
Harry and Ralph created Natura out of a desire to solve the question behind having a healthier, more abundant lifestyle. Research led them to the discovery that a quality night’s sleep contributes to a productive daily lifestyle- they searched for a solution that would help people sleep better in order to live better.
Natura’s founders discovered that while many mattresses looked plush and luxurious, and even felt comfortable when tested in the store, they failed to address the more serious long term issues such as continual back pain, restless sleep, and waking up groggy and tired. The Rossdeutcher’s set out to create a total sleep solution with benefits that were more than just ‘skin deep’.
By researching how the body moves and body activity during sleep, they created a mattress that was designed to work with the body, not against it and thus their Classic IV bed with it’s patented Double Slat Technology was rolled out and became an immediate success.
Today, Natura offers a full line of mattress options, from the newest in organic and green technology produced sleep systems to a line of mattresses for Baby’ and Kids, they choices include:
- Natura Organics Organic mattresses– Some of Natura’s newest creations, All Natural and Organic Talalay Latex
- NaturaLatex Mattresses– Natural Latex, wool and other natural components
- NaturaPedic Mattresses– Memory Foam
- Natura GreenSpring Mattresses– Innerspring performance encased in all natural wool, latex and plant based foam.
- Baby and Kids mattresses– Eco-friendly or purely organic choices available.
Natura and Green Manufacturing-
Natura believes that healthy sleep starts with natural ingredients and they practice eco-logic in everything they do. Some examples of how Natura supports green operations and manufacturing include:
- All lighting in the plant, office and outdoors has been switched to energy efficient bulbs requiring 55% less energy. (all the old bulbs were recycled, not trashed)
- Ceilings in our plant are painted white to increase light and reduce lighting usage.
- Forklifts and motors are electric to reduce emissions in the plant.
- Computers and lights are shut off at night and on weekends.
- All paper, cardboard, and plastic packaging in the plant and offices is recycled.
- Printer Cartridges are refurbished to be refilled and reused.
- The customer service department is moving portions of records to electronic based, non paper records and efforts are being made to make electronic options available to as many customers as possible.
- The plant and office uses refillable pens and pencils, non toxic markers, natural soaps and cleaning supplies, dry erase boards, projectors and teleconferencing are all used to reduce travel and use of resources.
- 10% of all profits are donated to charities for the underprivileged.
- Wood skids and excess fabrics are donated to charitable causes for reuse.
Natura uses Green Products and Marketing materials-
Green and Eco-friendly
- Displays are made with interchangeable graphics
- Water based glue on the beds is certified environmentally safe by GREENGUARD, and is delivered via a gravity system that naturally pulls the glue down, using less energy in the manufacturing process.
- In the Printed packaging and Business Cards they use vegetable dyes, biodegradable plastic and recycled paper or cardboard, or Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper.
- Shredded Latex– Natura invented the process to rescue latex ends, shred them and use this then for pillow cores.
- Wool– Natura is the only mattress/bedding manufacturer in North America to card their own wool, which decreases on cross-contamination and transportation costs.
- Foam Products– Natura’s foam products now contain 30% Soy, instead of being 100% petroleum based.
- All Products– Everything Natura manufactures has a percebtage of natural and organic component.
- Recycled water bottles– The Natura eco-green pillow uses recycled water bottles for its core.
Certifications and Associations:
Not only is Natura committed to its customer’s well being and reducing their carbon footprint through green manufacturing, they also believe in walking the walk and talking the talk. The following is a list of some of the Certifications and Associations that Natura has and is associated with-
- Organic Trade Association (OTA)
- Sustainable Furnishings Council
- Rainforest Alliance
- Organic Crop Improvement Association (OCIA)
- Bio Grow New Zealand
- Forestry Stewardship Council
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association